Identity-theft


     Before leaving for Sierra Leone, I visited my daughter Christine and her husband Josh in the United States. Both are electrical engineers. They met at MIT and they know their stuff. 
     They recommended enhanced security for my laptop and phone. West Africa, especially Nigeria, is the identity-theft-capital in the world. I agreed to all their suggestions. I now have double encrypted security for my android phone and Mac laptop. They advise that these devises will almost certainly be stolen, hopefully later in my mission than sooner. If the devices are stolen, I will not lose my financial identity. Thank you Josh and Christine. 
     Josh raised my awareness to the personal security risks in Sierra Leone. While not a conflict zone, there is widespread crime and corruption. Sad but prevalent in any poor economy. This is one cost of poverty. While sympathetic, I do not want to be a victim. Notwithstanding a lifetime of travel experience, Josh improved my awareness of the necessary security precautions.Thank you Josh. 
     I will carry a Garmin satellite transmitter that with a clear sky will connect to an iridium satellite anywhere in the world. Pushing a button will send an SOS to alert my family where I am in case of an emergency. Wow. Amazing technology! Hope this is never needed but great to have. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

These feet are made for walking

Giant African Snail

Beautiful Girls and Boys