"In seed time learn, in harvest teach, in winter enjoy."


This aphorism by William Blake implies that learning is part of youth, teaching associated with middle age, and enjoyment the reward of the elderly. Guess I don't fit the typical Blakean profile. I'm a lifelong learner, I continue to teach, and I've always enjoyed life. 

In a week I leave for West Africa to help children as a Paediatrician in the Maternal and Child Hospital in Kenema, Sierra Leone. I will arrive during the rainy season. Malaria, dengue, chikungunya, and leptospirosis will be on the upswing. A major part of my work will be to help teach paediatric care to a new cadre of local medical staff. 

Sierra Leone is dirt poor and there are very few doctors and nurses. The 2015 Ebola epidemic devastated health care in the country. Kenema was at the epicentre and about 10% of the doctors died. 

After the 2010 Haiti earthquake I decided to help out. In the last decade I made three trips to Haiti and over a dozen to Nicaragua. Working in Sierra Leone is part of my ongoing commitment to help out the less fortunate in our world. We all need to do our part. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Beautiful Girls and Boys

Helping Sierra Leone Children

These feet are made for walking